Bogus Callers – Denny Area
Information has been received from Neighbourhood Watch members regarding an incident which occurred in the Denny area between 3pm and 3.45pm on Friday 7th July when an elderly resident was approached by persons stating they worked for a company which dealt with vermin and bees in older loft insulation. They conned the resident into giving access to the loft space and handing over a substantial sum of money to allow them to deal with alleged vermin.
The persons are described as male, 20 – 30 years old, dark hair, both wearing dark jeans, black t shirts with one having a gold or yellow motif on front. Both had dark coloured baseball caps and left the house. No vehicle was seen.
Residents are reminded not to contract at the door and to look out for vulnerable neighbours.
· Keep front and back doors locked
· If you’re not sure don’t answer the door
· Don’t buy services or goods at the door
· Don’t feel pressurised into making a decision
· Don’t worry about seeming rude. Genuine callers expect you to be careful – SAY NO.
· You should always receive at least 2 quotes for work you require carried out
· Don’t keep large amounts of money in the house
· Never agree to pay for goods or give money to strangers who arrive at the door.
· If concerned that something isn’t right, contact your local trading standards office or police Scotland on 101 or 999 if you feel threatened and unsafe.
· Check trusted traders via the trusted trader scheme website : https://www.trustedtrader.scot/
If you have any information on the above incident contact Police Scotland on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 if you prefer to remain anonymous