- Close and lock all doors and windows. Don’t leave keys in locks and keep keys in a safe, accessible place away from view.
- Keep hedges and wall boundaries at front of house low to prevent hiding points and to increase opportunity for natural surveillance
- Keep rear and side boundaries high and consider the use of prickly shrubs / plants to restrict access
- Install “ dusk to dawn” security lighting to increase visibility and deter intruders
- Use internal timer switches linked to lights so that it appears someone is at home
- Install a security alarm, fitted by an approved and accredited installer – approved by either NSI or SSAIB (security industry inspectorates)
- Photograph and security mark valuable and sentimental items.
- Keep a record of all valuables.
- Invest in a fireproof safe fixed to a solid surface to store valuables / ID documents.
- Lock garages and sheds. Ensure that any garden tools, ladders are secured away so that they can’t be used to break into your home.
- Ensure your insurance policy is valid and up to date.
Police Scotland – www.scotland.police.uk
Secured by Design – www.securebydesign.com